If you fall, you could have a FOOSH injury

Personal Injury With A Personal Touch

If you fall, you could have a FOOSH injury

On Behalf of | Nov 24, 2021 | Slip And Falls |

If you fall on someone’s property, one of the kinds of injuries that you may suffer from is a FOOSH injury. FOOSH is an acronym standing for “fall on an outstretched hand” and may refer to any injury involving the wrist, hand, elbow and shoulder involving a fall.

There are several common FOOSH injuries that victims of falls may struggle with. Colle’s fracture of the wrist, which breaks the radius bone, is one of them. Another possible injury that could develop is carpel tunnel syndrome, which may develop in response to swelling and injuries to the median nerve.

FOOSH injuries don’t have to stop at the hand and wrist. When the force of the fall travels up the arm, it’s possible to have an elbow break or for the shoulder to be impacted. In the shoulder, a proximal humeral fracture could occur, which is when the arm bone jams into the shoulder and causes it to crack.

Common FOOSH injuries to watch out for

Since FOOSH injuries impact the hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders, a medical provider should look for signs of:

  • A boxer’s fracture, or injuries to the hand
  • An elbow dislocation
  • An elbow fracture
  • A fractured collarbone
  • Shoulder dislocations
  • Proximal humeral fractures
  • Colle’s fractures
  • Smith’s fractures

With FOOSH injuries, you may also have soft-tissue damage. Torn ligaments and tendons, as well as sprains and strains, could occur and make the area feel painful and tender.

How should you address a FOOSH injury?

If you trip and fall or slip and fall onto an outstretched hand, immediately look over the injured body parts to check for lacerations, dislocated bones and other signs of injury. Ice the area until you can get to an emergency room, urgent care or other location with an X-ray. If you fall on another person’s property, it’s reasonable to ask them to call 911 for an ambulance, so that you can receive anti-inflammatory medications or other pain relief until you can get diagnosed.

After you receive a diagnosis, you can look into making a premises liability claim against the property owner who may be responsible for your fall.